Monday, June 30, 2014

Not to think of you

I tried not to think of you.
In lonely nights or in sombre moods,
your face drew across to me.
I shut my eyes and tried
not to think of you.

I tried not to think of you,
lest I should lose some part of mine,
and become a part of you.
Lest I should separate from myself,
I tried not to think of you.

I tried not to think of you,
lest the night should stop in its daily run,
and the moon should scorn at me from the heavens.
Time would stretch itself,
and the hours would mock at me
from their place on the shelves.
Lest time should stop,
I tried not to think of you.

Great were my efforts in forgetting you,
yet you would peep at me,
from some part of me,
and snatch away from me the slumber that I slept,
and the peace within.
How you would do that I wonder,
though I tried not to think of you.

© 2014 Abhijit Pandit